#91 – “Let the Earth Now Praise the Lord”
“Let the Earth Now Praise the Lord”
by Heinrich Held, 1620-ca.1659
Translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1829-1878
1. Let the earth now praise the Lord.
Who hath truly kept His word
And the sinners’ Help and Friend
Now at last to us doth send.
2. What the fathers most desired,
What the prophets’ heart inspired,
What they longed for many a year,
Stands fulfilled in glory here.
3. Abrams promised great Reward,
Zion’s Helper, Jacob’s Lord, —
Him of twofold race behold, —
Truly came, as long foretold.
4. Welcome, 0 my Savior, now!
Hail! My Portion, Lord, art Thou.
Here, too, in my heart, I pray,
Oh, prepare Thyself a way!
5. King of Glory, enter in;
Cleanse it from the filth of sin,
As Thou hast so often done;
It belongs to Thee alone.
6. As Thy coming was in peace,
Quiet, full of gentleness,
Let the same mind dwell in me
That was ever found in Thee.
7. Comfort my desponding heart:
Thou my Strength and Refuge art.
I am weak, and cunningly
Satan lays his snares for me.
8. Bruise for me the Serpent’s head,
That, set free from doubt and dread,
I may cleave to Thee in faith,
Safely kept through life and death,
9. And when Thou dost come again
As a glorious King to reign,
I with joy may see Thy face,
Freely ransomed by Thy grace.