Bible Study Outlines – Patience
Bible Study Outlines
I. The patience of God. Exodus 34:6; Psalm 145:8; Romans 2:4; Romans 15:5 The patience of God reveals that phase of God’s goodness which prompts Him not to punish immediately, but to wait for the sinner’s repentance.
A. How patient God is—
- to all men. Even after man had fallen into sin God graciously gave him the promise of a Savior, Genesis 3:15
- to the impenitent. Genesis 6:3; Nehemiah 9:16-17; 1 Timothy 1:16; 1 Peter 3:20
- by postponing the Last Day because He wants all men to repent. 2 Peter 3:9
- by seeking out the lost sheep. Luke 15:1-10
B. We are not to abuse God’s patience by thinking that there is no hurry about our repentance. Psalm 50:21-22; Isaiah 55:6-7; Matthew 3:10; Luke 13:6-9; John 15:6; Romans 11:22; Hebrews 10:37
II. Christians should also be patient. Proverbs 14:29; Proverbs 15:18; Proverbs 16:32
A. Patient with one another. Ephesians 4:2; 2 Timothy 4:2. With their frailties and weaknesses. For example—
- We should exercise much patience with those who do us wrong. Matthew 5:38-44
- Patience in the home. Ephesians 5:22,25; Ephesians 6:4
- Patient in brotherly admonitions. Matthew 18:15-17
- Patient in instructing and teaching. 2 Timothy 2:24-25; 2 Timothy 4:2
B. What should encourage us to be patient?
- God’s command. 1 Thessalonians 5:14
- Christ’s example. Show how He was patient with Judas and Thomas.
- The necessity of patience. Others must have much patience with our frailties. Matthew 7:12 Explain how patience is necessary in every calling and occupation.
C. The patience which we should exercise toward God when we must endure tribulation. Lamentations 3:26; Luke 12:12; 1 Timothy 6:11; Hebrews. 12:1; James 5:7-8; James 21:19; Romans 5:3-4;
- Impatience only makes our suffering worse. How? Hymn 518 v. 2.
- Impatience hinders God’s Will and frustrates His gracious purpose. Hebrews 10:36
- Show from the history of the children of Israel how they often became very impatient.
- Why can a Christian be patient in tribulation?
D. We should be patient in tribulation because of —
- God’s Will. Luke 21:12-19; Romans 12:12; Revelation 14:12
- Christ’s example. Isaiah 53:7; 1 Peter 2:21-23
- The example of the prophets. James 5:10-11
E. Such patience is a fruit of the Spirit. Galatians 5:22; James 1:3
- It is learned from the Scriptures. Romans 15:4; Revelation 3:10
- It is strengthened and tested through tribulation. Psalm 94:12-13; Romans 5:3-4
Therefore my hope is in the Lord
And not in mine own merit;
It rests upon His faithful Word
To them of contrite spirit
That He is merciful and just;
This is my comfort und trust,
His help I wait with patience.
(Hymn 329, v. 3)